Monday, April 27, 2020

Good Shepherd Sunday

Faithful Resources for all Christian: Pope Francis's pectoral cross
Pope Francis with His Pectoral Cross
of the Good Shepherd

The commentaries for weeks 2 through 4 of Easter are provided by Deacon John Charron of St. Michael’s Parish in Poway, CA in the Diocese of San Diego. For a PDF of this commentary, visit Christ in Our Neighborhood website.

4th Sunday of Easter (EspaƱol) 




Prayer

Lord Jesus, by your cross and resurrection, you have set us free! May we celebrate your rising from the dead with joy,
knowing that we shall follow you through death into life!
We ask this in your Holy name. Amen.

Commentary

1st Reading: Acts 2:14, 36-41 

Today we continue Peter’s great speech. Last week we left off at the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. Amazingly, Peter gets the response he had only hoped for --they want to know what they can do! Peter gladly exhorts the answer--repent and be baptized! --3000 followed his invitation.

Peter explains not how this Messiah was to reign on earth, but through His death and resurrection and ascension, Jesus reveals Himself as sharing divine power and intimacy with the Father. If we call on Him, we too can share in the saving power of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit!

We might question at times, what part do I have to play in others conversion? Peter, likewise, may have had the same concern; after all he was just a simple fisherman. Witness and invitation were the keys. He invited them to a deeper understanding of how Jesus worked in his own life, and how He could work in theirs. Counting on the Holy Spirit, as Peter did, to do the rest.

Question

When is the last time I simply invited someone to share my faith?

2nd Reading: 1 Peter 2:20-25 

Have you ever had the question: How can I be patient if I suffer for doing good?

It is possible with Gods grace. That same grace that helps us when we don’t do so good or sin. That same grace that leads us back to a life of righteousness. It is always there, if we but ask for His grace and mercy.

Just as Jesus accepted suffering and put Himself totally in the hands of His loving Father to overcome sin and death, we too can share in His conquest.

Even if we stray in sin, like lost sheep, the shepherd will bring us back into the fold.

Question

How do I deal with suffering?

Gospel: John 10:1-10 

Unless we live or have lived on a farm, most of us don’t know a whole lot about sheep. Typically sheep graze in herds with other sheep and go wherever food is present. It wouldn’t be uncommon to have many shepherds all working at the same time with a larger flock of sheep. When its time to go home the shepherds call out to their sheep and they follow their own shepherd. Think of all the people in the world as if they were sheep. It seems there are many shepherds calling us in too many directions, often to our determent. However, Jesus is calling us by name so that we may have life and have it more abundantly.

Question

What shepherd are we listening to?

This Week's Task

Spend five minutes each day this week and listen to the Good Shepherd.

This is also Good Shepherd Sunday. It is a time for us to remember in prayer the priests of our parish who - in the person of Christ - shepherd us. Take some time to write a note of thanks to the priest of your parish. Let him know your gratitude for giving his life to God and the Church in this unique vocation. “I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly.”

Group Prayer

The group is invited to pray the following:

"Faithful Shepherd, You are not a hireling
who runs away at the sight of danger,
but Your fidelity was tested and proven
on the wood of the Cross.
Accept the gift of our gratitude
for Your marvelous care.
Help us to hear and follow Your voice.
Watchful Shepherd, who protects the flock
and searches tirelessly for those who wander from the fold,
retrieve the lost and bring them home.
Tend and heal their wounds.

Psalm

Response: Alleluia. 

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; he refreshes my soul.

Alleluia. 

He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side. With your rod and your staff that give me courage.

Alleluia. 

You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Alleluia.

Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

Alleluia.

Conclude with an Our Father

For a PDF of this commentary, visit Christ in Our Neighborhood website.

No comments:

Post a Comment