Tuesday, April 21, 2020

They Recognized Him in the Breaking of the Bread

(The Readings this week are provided by Deacon John Charron of St. Michael’s Parish in Poway, CA in the Diocese of San Diego. To receive a PDF form of these commentaries, visit: Christ in Our Neighborhood)

3rd Sunday of Easter (Español) 
Supper at Emmaus, Carravagio


Prayer

Lord Jesus, by your cross and resurrection, you have set us free! May we celebrate your rising from the dead with joy, knowing that we shall follow you through death into life! We ask this in your Holy name. Amen.

1st Reading: Acts 2:14, 22-33                                   

A common fact is that the number one fear people have, even more than death, is public speaking. The fear would likely be greater if it was before a large crowd, let’s say 3000 – 5000  people who were already hostile. Adding to the fact that most of these people know that you and your friends were hiding in fear just a few weeks prior. You didn’t have time to prepare, and you don’t have notes.

Peter appeals to his audience twice to listen carefully to his words. Even Jesus, the most gifted speaker in history, pressed His audiences to take care how they listened. It is likely Peter remembered well the lesson taught to him by Jesus, “do not worry about what you are to say, the Holy Spirit will speak through you”. Likewise, the Holy Spirit is with us when we need to speak, if we are open to Him.

Peter expounded through the prophet Joel and the Psalms that our God of mercy provides recourse if we call upon His name, and His name is Jesus.

Question

Recall a time when the Holy Spirit spoke through you. Is Jesus revealed by what you say and do?

2nd Reading: 1 Peter 1:17-21

Last week we read from 1 Peter and understood the joy received in Baptism. Now what? The same question continues to beckon us.

The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adult refers to this calling as mystagogia-- a word which means “to go deeper into the mystery.”

Peter reminds us of our continuing journey through life and the importance of delving deeper into the mystery and the positive affect it will have on our actions and response in this world.

We will be held accountable for our actions. We should center our faith and worship and praise in God and live according to the way shown from the teachings of scripture.

Question

In what way has the recent experience of Lent and this new experience of Easter allowed me to go deeper into the mystery of Christ in my life?

Gospel: Luke 24:13-35 

Although we all think we know Jesus, sometimes we don’t recognize Him. Even Cleopas and the other unnamed disciple--unnamed perhaps to represent us as fellow travelers--thought they knew Jesus from spending time with Him. But did they really listen to His Word? They had given up hope from the events that had transpired because of what they presumed about Jesus. They actually lived with Jesus but didn’t understand who or what he was.

Jesus takes the time to explain scripture to them and their hearts were on fire. When we understand something its easy to get excited about it, but first we need to understand. The two disciples had open minds and the ability to transform discouragement to hearts on fire.

He stayed with them because they asked. Then Jesus reveled Himself in the breaking of the bread. Each time we celebrate the Eucharist, we too can grow and understand more about Jesus, if only we ask. When we truly recognize Him, not only in the Eucharist but how He works in our lives, we can’t help but be on fire and want to share this news with everyone.

Questions

Do we recognize Jesus in the breaking of the bread or is it just some ritual we repeat?
When is the last time our heart was on fire?

This Week's Task

Take someone (friend, neighbor, even a family member) to Mass who hasn’t been in a long time. Allow them to enjoy the Real presence of Christ in the breaking of the bread.

Group Prayer

The group is invited to sing the following

 Open my eyes, Lord
Help me to see your face
Open my eyes, Lord
Help me to see
Open my ears, Lord
Help me to hear your voice
Open my ears, Lord
Help me to hear
Open my heart, Lord
Help me to love like you
Open my heart, Lord
Help me to love

Psalm

Response: Alleluia. 

Keep me, O God, for in you I take refuge;
I say to the LORD, “My Lord are you.”
O LORD, my allotted portion and my cup,
you it is who hold fast my lot.

Alleluia.

I bless the LORD who counsels me;
even in the night my heart exhorts me.
I set the LORD ever before me;
with him at my right hand
I shall not be disturbed.

Alleluia. 

Therefore my heart is glad
and my soul rejoices,
my body, too, abides in confidence;
because you will not abandon
my soul to the netherworld,
nor will you suffer your faithful one
to undergo corruption.

 Alleluia. 

You will show me the path to life,
abounding joy in your presence,
the delights at your right hand forever

Alleluia. 

Conclude with an Our Father

Visit christ-ion.com for more updates on Christ in Our Neighborhood


No comments:

Post a Comment